The Arts Council’s Professional Development for Artists (PDA) Grant Program was established in recognition of the value and important contributions of creative individuals to the cultural vitality of the Hillsborough County. The program’s intent is to support and develop a vibrant, creative community that inspires, energizes and stimulates prosperity for residents and visitors alike.
PDA Grants provide support for specific projects that will advance the careers of individual artists with established success on local, national or international levels. It is an annual grant program that provides financial support to emerging or established artists in a variety of disciplines for a single purpose: Funding attendance at a professional development experience or the purchase/rental of equipment that is pivotal to the advancement of the artist’s career.
This program is different from the Individual Artist Grant Program offered in previous years. Please read the Guidelines carefully for eligibility, application requirements and answers to frequently asked questions.
Grant Panel Review Meeting
The Grant Panel Review meeting for the 2018 program will take place Monday, Feb. 12, 2018, 1:30 pm at the Children’s Board of Hillsborough County. The meeting is open to the public. All current applicants and any artists considering applying for a grant in the future are strongly urged to attend. Parking is free and on site. The Children’s Board is at 1002 E. Palm Ave., Tampa, FL 33605.
2018 Professional Development for Artists Grant Program
Deadline to Submit Online: Friday, Dec. 15, 2017, 4 pm
- 2018 PDA Guidelines (PDF)
- 2018 PDA Application (Word doc)
- 2017-18 Cultural Equity Survey (Word doc) – MUST BE COMPLETED BY ALL APPLICANTS
- Generic Example of a Professional Artist Resume
- How-to Tutorial – Writing a Professional Artist Resume (Courtesy of Agora Gallery, NYC)
Please Note: Applicants using Google Docs or a Mac to complete forms are strongly urge to test their document before uploading. Multiple issues have been noted in applications made with these systems.
When you are ready to submit your application, be sure you upload ALL the required documents. The following documents must be uploaded to our Dropbox in order to be eligible:
- Completed application including professional resume
- Work samples (except videos)
- Proof of residency document
- Completed cultural equity survey
- Other supporting documents as required
Please refer to the 2018 PDA Guidelines document for more information and how to apply. If you have questions, please call Terri Simons, Director of Programs and Communication, at 813.276.8250.
Key Changes in the Program from Previous Years
There are several important changes to our artist grant program (now called Professional Development Grants for Artists) that differ from past years’ programs. Some of those are:
- This program is now open to emerging AND established professional artists. Past programs only allowed accomplished professional artists.
- Residency requirement: Must be a resident of Hillsborough County for 12 continuous months before application. This changed from 24 months to 12 months.
- Lifetime limit on number of grants you can receive removed. Artists who received a grant in prior programs ARE eligible to apply unless the artist received a grant in the last three years. Artists must wait three years before they can apply again.
- Grant purpose/project: The new grant program only supports two types of “projects:” The project must be one of two things — either an education experience that will make a difference in the artists’ career growth OR a piece of non-disposable equipment that would be pivotable to advancing the artist’s career.
- Work samples: Simplified requirements for all disciplines.
Logos, Credit for Funding
Arts organizations and artists receiving funding must display the Arts Council logo and Hillsborough County logo on all promotional materials and give proper credit for funding (as stated in the grant contract) to increase awareness of local funding for the arts and its importance. Download logos from this page.
The Arts Council’s grant programs are made possible thanks to funds from the Hillsborough County Board of County Commissioners. We are grateful for the continued support of our community that makes art happen.