Presents programs of live performances for all age groups that encourages their knowledge and appreciation of jazz and its origins as an art form.
The start of The Al Downing Tampa Bay Jazz Association can be traced to the joint efforts of Al Downing and Ernie Calhoun, renowned saxophonist and humanitarian who still resides in Tampa, Florida. Its beginnings were in 1981 and emerged from two jazz organizations in 1989. Today it provides jazz opportunities for enthusiasts throughout the Tampa Bay area.
The primary focus of the association is to encourage the understanding and appreciation of jazz of different styles of jazz and different musicians and composers.
- Promotes the understanding of jazz, its origins and evolution
- Presents live jazz performances
- Works with youths who are interested in learning to explore and perform jazz
- Informs the public about jazz clinics, festivals, performances, events and club scenes
- Provides scholarships to students who plan to further their jazz studies